Frequently Asked Questions
The most common side effects of INVEGA TRINZA® include:
- Injection site reactions
- Weight gain
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Feeling restlessness or difficulty sitting still
- Slow movements
- Shuffling walk
The most common side effects of INVEGA SUSTENNA® include:
- Injection site reactions
- Sleepiness or drowsiness
- Feeling of inner restlessness or needing to be constantly moving
- Abnormal muscle movements, including tremor (shaking), shuffling, uncontrolled involuntary movements, and abnormal movements of your eyes
INVEGA TRINZA® and INVEGA SUSTENNA® can cause serious side effects, including an increased risk of death in elderly people who are confused, have memory loss, and have lost touch with reality (dementia-related psychosis). INVEGA TRINZA® and INVEGA SUSTENNA® are not for treating dementia-related psychosis.
INVEGA TRINZA® and INVEGA SUSTENNA® may cause serious sides effects including:
- stroke in elderly people (cerebrovascular problems) that can lead to death
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS). NMS is a rare but very serious problem that can happen in people who receive INVEGA TRINZA® OR INVEGA SUSTENNA®. NMS can cause death and must be treated in a hospital. Call your healthcare provider right away if you become severely ill and have any of these symptoms: high fever; severe muscle stiffness; confusion; loss of consciousness; changes in your breathing, heartbeat, and blood pressure
- problems with your heartbeat. These heart problems can cause death. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of these symptoms: passing out or feeling like you will pass out, dizziness, or feeling as if your heart is pounding or missing beats
- uncontrolled movements of your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw (tardive dyskinesia)
- metabolic changes. Metabolic changes may include high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), diabetes mellitus and changes in the fat levels in your blood (dyslipidemia), and weight gain
- low blood pressure and fainting
- changes in your blood cell counts
- high level of prolactin in your blood (hyperprolactinemia). INVEGA TRINZA® and INVEGA SUSTENNA® may cause a rise in the blood levels of a hormone called prolactin (hyperprolactinemia) that may cause side effects including missed menstrual periods, leakage of milk from the breasts, development of breasts in men, or problems with erection
- problems thinking clearly and moving your body
- difficulty swallowing that can cause food or liquid to get into your lungs
- prolonged or painful erection lasting more than 4 hours. Call your healthcare provider or go to your nearest emergency room right away if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours
- problems with control of your body temperature, especially when you exercise a lot or spend time doing things that make you warm. It is important for you to drink water to avoid dehydration
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of INVEGA TRINZA® or INVEGA SUSTENNA®. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show to your healthcare provider or pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
It is not known if INVEGA TRINZA® or INVEGA SUSTENNA® will harm your unborn baby.
If you become pregnant while taking INVEGA TRINZA® or INVEGA SUSTENNA®, talk to your healthcare professional about registering with the National Pregnancy Registry for Atypical Antipsychotics. You can register by calling 1-866-961-2388 or visit http://womensmentalhealth.org/clinical-and-research-programs/pregnancyregistry
Infants born to women who are treated with INVEGA TRINZA® or INVEGA SUSTENNA® may experience symptoms such as tremors, irritability, excessive sleepiness, eye twitching, muscle spasms, decreased appetite, difficulty breathing, or abnormal movement of arms and legs. Let your healthcare professional know if these symptoms occur.
INVEGA TRINZA® and INVEGA SUSTENNA® can pass into your breast milk. Talk to your healthcare professional about the best way to feed your baby if you receive INVEGA TRINZA® or INVEGA SUSTENNA®.
INVEGA TRINZA® may affect your ability to make decisions, think clearly, or react quickly. Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how INVEGA TRINZA® affects you. Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated.
People may feel some pain or discomfort after receiving an injection of INVEGA TRINZA®. During a clinical trial, just 3% of those treated with INVEGA TRINZA® experienced some sort of reaction at the injection site vs 0% with placebo.
Your healthcare provider will tell you how much INVEGA TRINZA® you will receive and when you will receive it. If you’re receiving INVEGA SUSTENNA® or INVEGA TRINZA®, you and your healthcare professional can discuss options for programs or providers that may be able to provide you with reminders for your injection appointments, depending on availability in your area.
It is very important to keep all of your appointments and get your injections on time.
If you miss your appointment, call your doctor or Treatment Team as soon as you can. Your doctor or Treatment Team will decide what you should do next and work with you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible. If you stop coming for your injections, your symptoms may return.
You should not stop receiving injections of this medicine unless you have discussed this with your doctor. If you are still experiencing symptoms or side effects, be sure to let your healthcare professional know, as they may be able to adjust your dosage to ensure the medication is safe and effective for you.
Be sure to check with your insurance provider for the exact cost, but the cost of your medication should remain consistent. Even though INVEGA TRINZA® is medication for 3 months at a time, to most patients, the cost per month is the same.